Why do adults collect toys?

Anything and everything!

Moderators: zuse, loves toys, styxlver_82, jeapos88

Why do adults collect toys?

Postby TequilaMockingbird » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:40 am

I found this article today. Its pretty interesting I think. Especially the first half.

http://toyhaven.blogspot.com/2014/10/wh ... o-big.html

I am always trying to assess and reassess my collection habits. I am a "completist", trying to add anything remotely related to the original line (even though I don't particularly like them, such as the cartoon series). And I might be borderline OCD or a hoarder :?

But for me, its still fun!!! My collection really brings me such joy. I focus on what I do have, not whats missing. After all, I feel like thats what these little toys are all about. Having fun and bringing the child out in you. :D
You can't change your destiny, so change your attitude!
TequilaMockingbird

Re: Why do adults collect toys?

Postby twincheckers » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:11 am

Nostalgia/coping mechanism.

I graduated college, was unemployed... three years later still working in retail and dealing with the effects of depression and an anxiety disorder. Life didn't play out the way I planned and collecting things from my childhood brings back the good ole days of playing in the backyard, nap time, coloring books, and not being an adult.

Some people turn to alcohol and drugs, I waste money on eBay.
twincheckers

Postby TequilaMockingbird » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:21 pm

twincheckers wrote:

:lol: So true! There are so many worse ways to spend money and far worse addictions. I agree, collecting is like a little retreat to the past. I used to suffer from depression (and still anxiety) and my collection helps a lot with that. Its like a safe place you can always return to.
You can't change your destiny, so change your attitude!
TequilaMockingbird

Postby jeapos88 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:27 pm

TequilaMockingbird wrote:
twincheckers wrote:

This is me exactly, when I get stressed I turn to eBay, it's gotten me in trouble more than once.

growing up we didn't have a lot of money, and now that I'm grown I like being able to buy the things I always wanted, and no one can tell me not too :)
I love cats, It's people I can't stand
jeapos88

Postby katze016 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:20 pm

That was an interesting read. Thanks for the link, Joey.

twincheckers wrote:Nostalgia/coping mechanism.

I definitely echo this sentiment. In the past I haven't really taken the time to evaluate why I like collecting, I think because I can't quite get past the general stigma of toy collecting. But lately I've been learning to own my interests and hobbies. {Hooray, personal growth!}
And now that I'm thinking about it, it's definitely a combination of nostalgia and a coping mechanism. I used to suffer from depression and still battle with varying degrees of anxiety. I've noticed my buying habits go up when I'm feeling the most anxious. Unfortunately my anxiety usually stems from financial issues, so buying more toys doesn't really help the situation. But having cute things comforts me anyway.
As for the nostalgia aspect, I've often wondered if my preference for childhood things over more acceptable 'adult' hobbies is a sort of defect in my personality. But I've come to the conclusion that it's a symptom of the financial conditions that the majority of millennials face.

Here's a great read that a friend posted to fb recently. It's not specifically related to toy collecting, but rather a great explanation for millennials nostalgic tendencies.
http://www.dailydot.com/opinion/young-people-feel-like-adults-nostalgia-29/?fb=dd
"All I want to do is dance, until I fall into the undiscovered depths of my mind." ~ unknown
katze016

Postby ibuildabrit » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:54 pm

I am a borderline hoarder! I love having things and I know that having littlest pet shop is a big love of mine. It reminded me of my childhood but I also like getting the rarer and rarer things so that I have something to brag on. So mine might be in competition too which is kind of weird because I guess I am just competing with you guys. I suffer from depression and winning something on ebay cheers me up. I love the toys but I guess I also love the feeling of winning.
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.
e. e. cummings
ibuildabrit

Postby Waylah » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:44 am

For me it started when I was still technically a child and we found them on ebay. That helpless feeling when they were not in the shops anymore - well now I had a way of getting them when I thought I never would get the chance. So I just got the ones I wanted most as a child. It was exciting and fun. Every now and then I would get a few.

I didn't really start getting the collection bug until I was in uni going through a stressful personal matter; I guess it was a distraction. Then I discovered Shooting Star. Then somewhere I tipped over a line and started to more easily identify the ones I didn't have rather than the ones I did, so I started getting that 'completest' itch. Combine that with moving out and working full time, I had some money and somewhere to store them, my collection really took off.

Now my collection is basically complete, except for tiny pieces here and there, and boxes and backcards. The main things I love about collecting are:
Seeing the sets 'in the flesh' and how they work for the first time (though that doesn't really happen anymore)
Receiving and opening packages
Spotting rare pieces I need in mixed lots (or discovering new things! That pink zoo was so exciting)
Finally completing a set with that one little piece I've been waiting for for so long
Swaps! and making customs for swaps.
Just admiring them.

And recently, selling. (well, recently-ish. Not since early this year.) It's really fun communicating with buyers and sending them a few little extras. Sometimes they're buying for their own nostalgia, but more commonly its for their own children or grandchildren, and that makes me so happy to know they're getting played with again. One customer in France was so happy to get back the toys she'd had as a child that she sent me a Christmas card! That was pretty special.
***Open for trade!*** looking for: 1993 case collar, mail-order puppies basket handle, and boxes and back cards

Wish list:http://www.vintagelpsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=5339
Waylah

Postby katgyrl » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:23 am

I agree with what a lot of you have said! I think a lot of mine is "I didn't get to have this as a child and now I can" thing, but also it being a reminder of the sweet simple days of childhood. I'm also very much a completionist, but I'm getting better at that! And buying things makes me happy (I am really, really good at spending money ;) ), so why not toys?! Toys are the ultimate frivolous acquisition! When I buy myself a toy, I am completely spoiling myself. It's nice to do that every once in a while. And then I can put them on a shelf and look at them and it just brightens my day. :)
katgyrl

Return to Off Topic