Weirdness! Garden Tag Pets Box and Bobbing Fish

Chat about anything LPS-related!

Moderators: zuse, loves toys, styxlver_82, jeapos88

Weirdness! Garden Tag Pets Box and Bobbing Fish

Postby jillrose » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:53 pm

Hi everyone! I recently noticed some weirdness on my Bobbing Fish set: the purple fish discolored to a brownish-gold color.

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 6.46.05 PM.png

I had purchased this set from Ebay, and didn't realized that those fish were supposed to be purple. I don't think this is a variation; but rather, water damage, from the original owner having actually filled the tank with water in order to play with the fish. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

(Of note, this set is now FOR SALE, as I recently purchased a set with the box that had not suffered any water damage. In spite of the fish & tank discoloration, this is a nice set, all posts intact.)

Even stranger: a box mystery! I also recently purchased an EU set of Garden Tag Pets, MIB, because I was determined to have both Ciff & Ciaff (the bluebirds) in my collection, and the variation bluebird was proving to be impossible to track down otherwise. Besides...it's fun to open a box ;)

But check out these photos:

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 6.45.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 6.45.34 PM.png

There are square pink block-out stickers adhered to the box in two places. Although you cannot see it well in the photos, there clearly are box illustrations and text under them! Does anyone else have boxes with parts blocked out? If only the text weren't in Italian, I might be able to decipher it :? but the stickers seem to be designed to really block out the hidden parts opaquely. Hmmm.

Also - check out "Buddy's" head decoration: yellow in the illustration AND on the photo of the toy. I've come across half a dozen "Buddy" dogs in my collecting endeavors, all of whom sport a pink head flower. Has anyone come across "Buddy" with a yellow flower, as shown in these photos?
Most Wanted: fakie baby pets!
jillrose

Re: Weirdness! Garden Tag Pets Box and Bobbing Fish

Postby jeapos88 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:32 am

I have the French version of the box, it's the same way. I even attempted to remove one of the stickers to see what's underneath.
Attachments
IMG_20170311_082056939.jpg
IMG_20170311_082225564.jpg
IMG_20170311_082056939.jpg
I love cats, It's people I can't stand
jeapos88

Re: Weirdness! Garden Tag Pets Box and Bobbing Fish

Postby Waylah » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:38 pm

How interesting. I will definitely have to check out my box when I get home.
***Open for trade!*** looking for: 1993 case collar, mail-order puppies basket handle, and boxes and back cards

Wish list:http://www.vintagelpsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=5339
Waylah

Return to Pet Shop Talk