Question: Lion Family and Zoo Playset Pieces

Chat about anything LPS-related!

Moderators: zuse, loves toys, styxlver_82, jeapos88

Question: Lion Family and Zoo Playset Pieces

Postby jillrose » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:22 pm

Hey guys! I'm doing a thorough collection inventory, using Sarafina's site as a guide. Two questions popped up as I was going through all the 1994 sets this evening!

1 - The Lion Family. Does this set have a more formal name? The site just says "Lion Family," but all other LPS sets usually are a bit more descriptive with the set name, so I was curious.

2 - The Zoo Playset. I have most pieces to this set, though missing a few accessories. The accessories that I do have are all blue. I see that they came in pink and yellow variations. Did a single Zoo Playset typically come with accessories in a mix of these three variant colors, or would any given playset only cotain one color of accessories?

Insight will be appreciated! :D
Most Wanted: fakie baby pets!
jillrose

Re: Question: Lion Family and Zoo Playset Pieces

Postby katze016 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:06 pm

1 - Yep, they are just titled 'Lion Family'. You can see it on the box if you click on the packaging photos on Sarafina's site. That's also all they are called on their pledge certificate.

2 - As far as I know the accessory colors break down the way they are shown in Sarafina's pictures. I'm assuming this based on the fact that that's her set from childhood, and I've seen other complete sets for sale that are divided up the same way.
The food bags and bamboo come in one color, the bag of peanuts, bucket of fruit, and hay bale come in another, and the bananas and fish come in the third color. However, obviously since you can find all accessories in all colors, they could come in any combination. It appears it was completely random as to how that color breakdown appeared in each set.

I can't actually remember which color combo I decided to go with for my own set. I guess that will be a surprise when I unpack them today!
"All I want to do is dance, until I fall into the undiscovered depths of my mind." ~ unknown
katze016

Postby jillrose » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:06 pm

:roll: Silly me...hadn't even thought to click the packaging!

My Zoo Playset came from a large Ebay lot, back in the early 2000's, and I was actually buying the lot because of the My Little Kitties hidden in it - hadn't even cared about the zoo at the time, but I had LPS and needed storage cases, so it was just a bonus to me :lol: My zoo is missing the food bags, trunk, hay, and bananas (although I may have just assumed they were monkey bananas if yellow??) so I wasn't sure if I should look for specific colors for my missing pieces!
Most Wanted: fakie baby pets!
jillrose

Postby Waylah » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:55 am

I agree with katze. The same pieces are always grouped the same way, but the colours you get for each group are random, except that each group has a different colour (e.g. you don't end up with two groups in pink, one in blue, and none in yellow etc)

The yellow zoo bananas do look different to monkey bananas. The zoo bananas are .. um ... brighter? err... It's really obvious when you see them, but it's hard to describe. If you have yellow zoo fish, they look exactly like that - sort of more sharp-looking than the other bananas. The yellow looks like the texture of White-out (a.k.a liquid paper, correction fluid). They look more hard solid than soft glossy. Haha, I think a picture would be better than my attempt at description! But basically, if your yellow bananas don't exactly match your yellow fish, then they're monkeys'.
***Open for trade!*** looking for: 1993 case collar, mail-order puppies basket handle, and boxes and back cards

Wish list:http://www.vintagelpsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=5339
Waylah

Postby kristap012 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:24 am

My childhood zoo came with the following:
Pink: Bananas, Lg Food Bag, One Fish
Blue: One Fish, Peanuts, Bamboo
Yellow: Bucket of Fruit, Bale, Lg Food Bag

You should end up with three of each color but it must vary set to set.
kristap012

Return to Pet Shop Talk