What else do you collect??

Talk about other vintage toys!

Moderators: zuse, loves toys, styxlver_82, jeapos88

What else do you collect??

Postby TequilaMockingbird » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:17 am

I think this may have been asked before, but since our collecting habits change and we have added several new members I thought I would ask again. And also so we can keep an eye on things for each other if we happen to see them come up. What else do you collect?

My first and greatest love is, of course, Littlest Pet Shop (and Baby Buddies by association). Most of my recent efforts are on customs and reproduction pieces I think. But I have also gotten back into collecting the "In My Pocket" toys last year. That forum has been a huge help for me. Like this one, having the community there makes collecting so much more personal and fun! I still collect Kenner's Wonder World sets, though I think I am missing only one more set. Also vintage Treasure Troll items. Surprisingly I haven't repurchased any actual trolls yet, just stickers, books, cards, valentines etc. The images of them are what I really like. I'm just waiting for a decent sized lot with some variety before I take the plunge into full on collecting. (But still keeping an eye out for the Tree House I had as a kid!!! This was awesome...)

I was collecting Charmkins but stopped growing that collection. I also can't believe that I sold my Kenner Care Bear collection as well (Mostly MIP poseables, accessories, etc) and my Strawberry Shortcake collection. I just found that these collections didn't bring as much joy as the others so I decided to let someone else have them that would enjoy them more.
You can't change your destiny, so change your attitude!
TequilaMockingbird

Re: What else do you collect??

Postby Synthetica » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:54 am

Oh, I had forgotten completely about Wonder World! I had to Google to figure out what they were, but I absolutely remember having one of the sets when I was a kid. I'll be doing some more Googling to figure out which one it was!

As for me - I a lot of G1 My Little Ponies. I've been collecting them since I was a kid. It's the one collection that never really stopped. I'd always pick them up at flea markets, thrift shops, etc when I'd see them. I still can't resist them when I see them at flea markets. Although, in the past few years, the prices have skyrocketed. I used to be able to grab them for $1-3 each on the rare occasion that I saw them. Now, I'm guaranteed to find them at flea markets and regularly have to walk away from $10 price tags on bait-quality ponies. :(

I also have a small collection of G2-G3 ponies. Not because I really collected them, but just happened to end up with them (not even sure how that happened). I've considered selling them, but I'm not sure if I even want to.

As for G4 MLP - I do collect the blind bag ponies and would love to have a HUGE Funko MLP collection, but the price of doing so holds me back a bit. I have quite a bit of G4 merchandise, mostly because people keep buying it for me when they see it. :lol:

My next largest collection isn't an "active" collection - Grand Champions. I have a ton from my childhood and I do pick them up when I see them at flea markets, but I don't actively seek them out online, etc.

In My Pocket toys are a newly rediscovered love. I didn't have many when I was a kid (two sets, I think), but I came into quite a few more a few years ago (that's a fun story I'll share sometime!). My boyfriend collected them when he was a kid, so he drives my desire to collect them. :P

Fashion Star Fillies - I actually had zero of these as a kid, but my older cousins all had them and I was insanely jealous. I've bought a few online as an adult and I'd love to grow my collection, but they're so dang expensive sometimes!

I think that's mostly it... I think, anyway. Basically, I have a collection of collections. :lol:
Synthetica

Postby jeapos88 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:13 pm

I currently am collecting LPS of course, I have a small collection of polly pockets, just the sets I had as a kid, still missing a few though.

I have a pretty good sized collection of Quints, just recently I got into collecting American Girl, that one will put a dent in your paycheck pretty fast :lol: I just collect the original five dolls, still trying to piece together Felicity's stuff, but I have the other four mostly complete. I have a large collection of kelly dolls, and a decent collection of Grand champions, I have a lot of the Micro MIni's, but I'm not actively collecting them anymore though. My GC look pretty rough, I played hard with my toys as a kid

My newest collection is Stargate "Legos" they are knock off legos, but they're still pretty cool.

I used to collect Beanie babies, at one time I had over 400, now I think I only have around 100
I love cats, It's people I can't stand
jeapos88

Postby jillrose » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:18 pm

Petite Ponies were my first love, followed by My Little Bunny, Kitty, and Puppy Li'l Litters :) YEARS later, I discovered the "second generation" of My Little Bunny, Kitty, and Puppy - the Nursery Families, and I spent years hunting for these rarities on Ebay. My Petite Ponies G1 collection is complete, although I am still seeking the set of 4 "G2" Petites that were a giveaway at the 1997 New York Toy Fair. (Internet rumor has it that the last set ever spotted on Ebay in ~2012 went for over $500.)

I began collecting Littlest Pet Shop in 1993 because they reminded me of Li'l Litters, so those animals always got to play together ;) I was the first one of my friend to discover Baby Buddies in 1995, and I'm still working on collecting some of the rarer sets.

I also got my hands on a few In My Pocket sets along the way, and though I recently joined the 90sIMP forum to seek a few missing set pieces in my scant collection, I am not actively seeking new full sets. I'm happy with the few I have :)

Last year, I began collection Teeny Tiny Tails Fairy Tail Birds and My Little Pony Mummy Charms. I just need one more Mummy Charm - Sweet Scoops, the rarest of all!

Last but not least, I have a few G1 My Little Pony Baby Ponies, including a gem of a set I purchased from another collector: the UK Best Friends, a set of 3 ponies with mini animal friends.

I've been busy setting up all my collections in brand new display cases, and cannot WAIT to share photos once it no longer looks like disaster central :lol:
Most Wanted: fakie baby pets!
jillrose

Postby Synthetica » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:24 pm

jeapos88 wrote:I have a pretty good sized collection of Quints

I was never into any sort of dolls (bring on the animal-themed toys!), but I still ended up with a couple of sets of Quints when I was very young. Looking at an ID site, I apparently had the Carriage For 5 and Rocking Horse for 5 (hey, at least it was animal themed!) I'm sure I still have the Rocking Horses and some of the accessories. Now you've made me want to go looking for them. :lol:

jeapos88 wrote:My GC look pretty rough, I played hard with my toys as a kid

Some of mine are a bit beat up, as well... doesn't mean I love them any less though! :)

jillrose wrote:My Petite Ponies G1 collection is complete

I'm insanely jealous of your collection! I've been so tempted over the years to start collecting more of these (I only have my childhood collection). I need to dig them out and make myself a proper checklist of who I still need. I did just win a very random lot on ebay that has some LPS, In My Pocket, Polly Pocket, etc stuff and I spotted one lonely Petite in the mix, so I'm excited about getting it. :lol:
Synthetica

Postby jillrose » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:07 pm

I do have some rare extras if you're interested! Feel free to PM me :)
Most Wanted: fakie baby pets!
jillrose

Postby moonlightkitty » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:21 pm

I collect the Lego Friends sets, but I don't buy every single set, just ones I really like. I want to get my hands on as many that have horses as possible. I built a beachfront retail area consisting of a cafe, smoothie bar, beach house, lifeguard etc. I collected nearly all of the Jungle Rescue sets but had to stop when my husband stopped working and I had no spare money. Luckily this year I was able to get back into it and I am now seeking out the Popstar set.
There's another offshoot called Lego Disney Princess which I love because I love Disney. Once again I'm not after every set, just the ones I love. I will probably get all of the Frozen ones because I love the colour scheme used in Frozen merchendise.

Speaking of which, I kind of collect Frozen merchendise. I have a trunk that holds my old books, a lip balm, a little bucket I keep my bookmarks in, some Funko Pop Vinyls, Elsa from Disney Infinity, and my husband last year gave me the most incredible and beautiful hand-painted collectables of Anna and Elsa that I have ever seen. They are so gorgeous.

I briefly tried collecting Grand Champions again, but had a terrible experience trying to buy from overseas. I bought a box from a girl in Canada and six months later it returned to her 'return to sender' with no reason stated why. I'd never received any notices that a box had come for me, and in the end the girl would only refund me the cost of the horses and not the shipping as well. That pretty much halted me buying anything from overseas.

I guess you could say I collect books. I own precisely 410 I have not read yet. I keep meticulous records. Some of these are ebooks and some are paperbacks. While I prefer hardcovers, they are quite expensive, so I usually buy paperbacks. I also run a book review blog so that's why I have so many. In the precisely three and a half years I have been running my blog I have read over 200 books, although before that I remembered the details of precisely 200 that I could record the details of, the rest are lost to the wind. I receive books from publishers, which are called Advanced Review Copies (ARCs), and that makes all the time and effort and cost of running a book blog worth it.

I've started joking that I collect black cats. Last year we adopted our third one, a wildling trapped and taken to a shelter, and she needed $2000 surgery because she'd been hit by a car and healed improperly. We fund raised for the surgery and six months later she's the perfect house cat, wonderful and sweet and adorable.
[Blog]
Most wanted: paw print club kittens and puppies!
moonlightkitty

Postby jeapos88 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:15 pm

moonlightkitty wrote: I guess you could say I collect books. I own precisely 410 I have not read yet. I keep meticulous records. Some of these are ebooks and some are paperbacks. While I prefer hardcovers, they are quite expensive, so I usually buy paperbacks. I also run a book review blog so that's why I have so many. In the precisely three and a half years I have been running my blog I have read over 200 books, although before that I remembered the details of precisely 200 that I could record the details of, the rest are lost to the wind. I receive books from publishers, which are called Advanced Review Copies (ARCs), and that makes all the time and effort and cost of running a book blog worth it.

That's so cool, I always thought it would be neat to do book reviews like that. I love to read, and have three shelves in my house full of books I agree with you on the hardcover books, they look so much nicer on a shelf than paperbacks, but do cost a bit more.

moonlightkitty wrote:I've started joking that I collect black cats. Last year we adopted our third one, a wildling trapped and taken to a shelter, and she needed $2000 surgery because she'd been hit by a car and healed improperly. We fund raised for the surgery and six months later she's the perfect house cat, wonderful and sweet and adorable.

That's the joke in my family with me. I "collect" cats. I have five currently, one of which is a black cat who has neurological problems.
jeapos88

Postby loves toys » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:27 pm

jeapos88 wrote: I have a large collection of kelly dolls,

I collect Kelly dolls too! I refuse to collect the new Chelsea dolls - how you you just up and change the name of Kelly???

I also collect Littlest Pet Shop (of course ;) ), Fairy Winkles, Princess Gwenevere and the Jewel Riders, Polly Pocket, Jasmine dolls, and probably more things... :D
loves toys

Postby jeapos88 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:52 pm

loves toys wrote:
jeapos88 wrote: I have a large collection of kelly dolls,

I collect Kelly dolls too! I refuse to collect the new Chelsea dolls - how you you just up and change the name of Kelly???

I know!! I stopped collecting them back when they changed the heads to the weird lemon shape. I also have a few of the Krissy dolls, they are adorable, and I'd love to have more, but they can be a bit pricey at times.

Besides the dolls, I have a bunch of clothes and play sets too. I'll have to get them out and take a pic of them to show you.
jeapos88

Postby Synthetica » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:48 am

loves toys wrote:Princess Gwenevere and the Jewel Riders

I was just browsing around online the other night for Princess Gwenevere stuff. I wasn't really super-into the dolls, but I should still have Moondance around here somewhere and I always wanted to get Sunstar, but could never find one in stores. I'm not surprised that they seem pretty uncommon these days!
Synthetica

Postby loves toys » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:51 pm

jeapos88 wrote:
I know!! I stopped collecting them back when they changed the heads to the weird lemon shape. I also have a few of the Krissy dolls, they are adorable, and I'd love to have more, but they can be a bit pricey at times.

Besides the dolls, I have a bunch of clothes and play sets too. I'll have to get them out and take a pic of them to show you.

Oh yeah! I forgot about them - I don't even consider those Kelly dolls. That weird lemon shaped head just creeped me out. I have a few Krissy dolls too, 1 from childhood, and at least 2 from yard sales. :D
loves toys

Postby loves toys » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:54 pm

Synthetica wrote:

I was just browsing around online the other night for Princess Gwenevere stuff. I wasn't really super-into the dolls, but I should still have Moondance around here somewhere and I always wanted to get Sunstar, but could never find one in stores. I'm not surprised that they seem pretty uncommon these days!

Yeah, growing up I only had 1 doll - Princess Gwenevere with the jewel chest and her party dress, but always wanted the others. I now have every doll and horse, along with prototypes of unreleased dolls/sets. I'll have to take pictures and show them all sometime.
loves toys

Postby Synthetica » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:10 pm

loves toys wrote:
Synthetica wrote:

Yeah, growing up I only had 1 doll - Princess Gwenevere with the jewel chest and her party dress, but always wanted the others. I now have every doll and horse, along with prototypes of unreleased dolls/sets. I'll have to take pictures and show them all sometime.

Oh, I'd love to see your collection sometime. Especially the prototypes and unreleased ones!
Synthetica

Postby jeapos88 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:15 am

loves toys wrote:
jeapos88 wrote:

Oh yeah! I forgot about them - I don't even consider those Kelly dolls. That weird lemon shaped head just creeped me out. I have a few Krissy dolls too, 1 from childhood, and at least 2 from yard sales. :D

yep, I don't consider them kelly either.
I have two krissy dolls, I had bought the baby layette set, and the bath time set, I still have all the accessories for the bath set, but the dog we had at the time ate ALL the clothes to the layette set. I've looked on ebay, but man, they're expensive now
jeapos88

Postby twincheckers » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:12 am

LPS is my main collection.... other than LPS, I basically go after all of the toys I had (or wanted to have) as a kid. So 1990s Barbie, Skydancers, Starcastles, Puppy in my Pocket. I collect Star Wars and Star Trek stuff too. I do souvenir shot glasses and collector's cups for vacations and day trips (zoos, museums, etc.).... Recently I've become addicted to Alpacasso plushies (https://otakumode.com/shop/label/Alpacasso ), there's a store near me that sells them and I've been buying one every couple weeks.
twincheckers

Postby Saradavo » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:05 am

My other collections include
LPS
The whole In My Pocket range
Hasbro puppy, kitty, bunny, pony and cub surprise animals
Galoob pound animals, mostly just the miniature animals.
Lego - Harry potter, Christmas themed, and any other sets I like. All MIB
Some sylvanian families
Pokemon figures
I think that's it...lol.
Saradavo

Postby katze016 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:23 pm

LPS is what started it all for me four years ago during tax season. I'd been pouring over Zuse's site for some time and when I got my tax return that year I took a leap and jump-started my new hobby.
Last summer I branched out and started collecting IMP and my collection of Puppy, Kitty, and Bunny in my Pocket has exploded since then. I have acquired the majority of the single figures, save a handful of the rarest ones. Combined they fill a couple of large shoe boxes. I particularly love the family sets.
I also started collecting My Pretty Mermaids at the same time. My collection is now up to 16 out of 26 mermaids.
I've put together a collection of eight Tiger Electronics handheld video games depicting the classic Disney movies. The only ones left on my list are The Rescuers Down Under, The Jungle Book, and the hardest to find...Cinderella.

I'd like to eventually collect some of the various Lion King toys my sister and I had while growing up. And I'd like to complete my collection of the early years Beanie Babies cats. The seven in the original flat/laying down pose. I had at least a hundred at one point, but I've only held on to the kitties for nostalgic purposes.
I've toyed with the idea of collecting the G2 LPS koala figures. There are only 13, including the happy meal ones, but they're probably lowest on my want list compared to everything else I'm working on.

I'm obsessed with the current Little Live Pets by Moose. I've picked up two of the series one butterflies. If I had room for them I'd collect all of the butterflies, parakeets, mice, and turtles. The series three butterflies have particularly beautiful coloring.

Something I've been working on for years is a photo collection of all things Popples related. I picked up the plush ones whenever I found them at garage sales as a kid. Today what I love most are the illustrations of them in the various books, cartoons, and countless merchandise items that were created. I've cataloged around 200 merchandise items at this point and new ones just keep turning up. It's hard not to want everything. It's all just so cute!! But I've limited myself to just targeting the children's books, magnets, and maybe a few other small, easy to store items.

In a similar fashion I've taken to perusing eBay for photos of the Barbies, clothes, and playsets I had while growing up. My mother let my sister and I sell them all in a garage sale one year! :evil:
I don't think I'll ever recollect them all. I don't have the space these days and, as you can see above, several other interests that take precedence. But maybe a favorite or two will make their way into my displays some day.

I've thought about collecting a small number of MLP, but whenever I look at them I start out thinking just the babies, then it's just the babies and their full size counterparts, then it spirals out into all the unicorns and pegasi, and then suddenly it's all of G1!!! Clearly I would have no self control if I got started. So for now I'm planning to start a photo collection and hope that that will be satisfying enough to look at. What I may allow myself eventually are the children's books. I always loved the illustrations.

And of course I still have some childhood toys, which are odd to think of as their own "collections". But I held on to my favorite stuffed animals, Bundle of Babies dolls, as well as my well-loved Grand Champions.

Holy moly that was a lot of toy talk!! I think I may have a problem. ;)
"All I want to do is dance, until I fall into the undiscovered depths of my mind." ~ unknown
katze016

Postby twincheckers » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:14 am

katze016 wrote:
In a similar fashion I've taken to perusing eBay for photos of the Barbies, clothes, and playsets I had while growing up. My mother let my sister and I sell them all in a garage sale one year! :evil:

My parents let me sell my two totes of doll clothes, one whole tote of dolls, two Babrie cars, and a two story doll house for $50. :( :shock: :? I'm sure we all have memories of donating/selling/giving away things that are worth sooooo much money now. If we only knew then...
twincheckers

Postby dIGITS » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:29 pm

twincheckers wrote:
katze016 wrote:

My parents let me sell my two totes of doll clothes, one whole tote of dolls, two Babrie cars, and a two story doll house for $50. :( :shock: :? I'm sure we all have memories of donating/selling/giving away things that are worth sooooo much money now. If we only knew then...

Haha I like how you guys say your parents "let" you sell things... My mom had to talk me into selling things so much... She'd work on a particular item sometimes for months at a time "well you don't reeeeally like the way that looks" "you don't reeeeally use/want that"... Basically guilting me into selling stuff... And so went my sizzling pan set, my puppy surprise, and (my one regret) my one and only Pretty Kitty (or whatever one it was) ... I've always been kind of borderline hoarder I suppose :lol:
Is seriously addicted to all things adorable.
dIGITS

Postby dIGITS » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:54 pm

Katze- I could go on for hours about toys and collecting.
I'm jealous of your ability to collect catalogues of photos instead of having the physical item!!
I have thought about doing that but have my doubts on succeeding.

I collect many things...
Current or large collections:
Blythe dolls and rement miniatures
Kenner littlest pet shops
Hazel atlas Dishware
Minnie n' me play sets
Takara fakie baby ponies
Wu&Wu designer tins
FABRIC (though that's just because I sew... So I tell myself)

Small or very particular collections:
Monster high dolls
Lil litters (just the baby cats and bunnies)
My little pony babies and dollar general fakies in the same pose
Baby buddies (pets and accessories, not dolls)
Rainbow brite (just a few sprites and the kitty plush)
Depression glass (cherry blossom and someday the children's ballerina tea set)
Vintage suitcases
Mini lalaloopsy dolls
vintage drinking glasses (like pinup, cute shot glasses, swanky swigs, and mod or kitschy mugs)
Play dishes (like vintage tin or glass or Tupperware)
My pretty (and little pretty) kitties (I have three, I would like 5)
Kitty surprise (just one baby kitten face shape in all colors) (this is only 3 but an important collection to me)

And I'm just certain I'm forgetting stuff... Haha!
dIGITS

Postby dIGITS » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:32 am

I took a quick few phone photos of my collection.
I'd love to see your collections (and/or displays) as well!

I just pretty much photographed my whole room. It is easier that way. I set up a lot of my collections as decor. This is most everything (except my dollhouse miniatures. The drawer set plus the plastic drawer set, plus the closet is full of fabric :oops: I am (admittedly) a LITTLE bit of a hoarder. hahah! :lol: :lol:
My LPS are at my parent's house along with a few other random things like li'l litters, beanie babies, kid-sized tupperware, etc..

dIGITS

Postby TequilaMockingbird » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:07 pm

Eye spy a kitty neck charm! :D Amazing collection! Its gorgeous!!!
You can't change your destiny, so change your attitude!
TequilaMockingbird

Postby Waylah » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:27 am

So many pretty things!
Jeapos - I like the sound of Stargate Lego. Is it still being made? Can we see your collection?? :o

Vintage-wise, I just collect LPS. Oh wait, I have three Silverlit Bonnie dolls. Is that a collection?

I did splurge and start a Sylvanian Families collection, but they're not vintage. I also suspect I've completed my collection already. I bought everything pretty much at once, and now I'm rationing it - I let myself open one box a week. They're all sitting in a cardboard box in my living room waiting to be opened up and set up in the spare room. These are also going to be my future kids' toys. I wonder if my kids will prefer Sylvanians to LPS???
***Open for trade!*** looking for: 1993 case collar, mail-order puppies basket handle, and boxes and back cards

Wish list:http://www.vintagelpsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=5339
Waylah

Postby jeapos88 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:05 pm

Okay here's my Stargate "legos", they're not being made anymore, unfortunately, I didn't find out about them till they were almost out of stores.
Attachments
IMG_20160222_193241902.jpg
IMG_20160222_193253902.jpg
IMG_20160222_193301580.jpg
jeapos88

Next

Return to Vintage Toys