My Pretty Mermaid (and other collections)

Talk about other vintage toys!

Moderators: zuse, loves toys, styxlver_82, jeapos88

My Pretty Mermaid (and other collections)

Postby katze016 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:34 pm

I just won my first My Pretty Mermaid and didn't have anyone else to share it with.
Look how pretty she is!!! :-D
http://www.ebay.com/itm/My-Pretty-Mermaids-Rainbow-Beauty-Playskool-1991-/201378600896?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=ChRBRj39N71hLwjEnfI%252F1lyqk%252BI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
And to think, I hadn't even remembered I had a couple of these until I spotted one in the pictures of that toy shop in Vienna that Jeapos shared. Now I can't wait to have the whole bunch.

My passion for toy collecting had kind of taken a dive in the last year. I was really excited to come back to the forum last fall, but at the same time there is so little left to find for my LPS collection that I couldn't quite regain the enthusiasm I used to have for it. Then in April I set about the task of putting together a complete collection of The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids books (74 in total) for a friends daughter's birthday, and that seemed to spark something.
I finally took a thorough look at Jenna's IMP website. Much like LPS, I was never aware of how extensive the line was when I was young, and only had a handful of puppies and kitties that lived in my pet shop. I'm so excited to have a lengthy checklist to work on again. And after spotting that mermaid in the Vienna toyshop, I immediately looked up their GhostoftheDoll page and spent hours staring at all the pretty colored fins and hair.
Collecting those books (one of my favorites when I was 8 or 9) made me realize how fun it could be to collect things other than toys, so now I'm working on the adorable Serendipity books by Stephen Cosgrove, the Popples merchandise story books, and my teenage years favorite, RL Stine's Fear Street books.
{I've also highly considered collecting Furbys, but they seem so cumbersome to store. :? }

It's so much fun to have tons of things to hunt for again. Now the challenge will be pacing myself. ;)

I know many people here have gone through slumps in their collecting. How did you bounce back? Or did you give it up altogether? Do you collect anything other than toys? Also, if you had unlimited storage space, what else would you like to collect? Mine would be Grand Champion Horses.
"All I want to do is dance, until I fall into the undiscovered depths of my mind." ~ unknown
katze016

Re: My Pretty Mermaid (and other collections)

Postby TequilaMockingbird » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:32 am

Congrats on both the new find and re-igniting your passions in collecting! It is challenging to figure out "whats next?" while waiting to find those last few LPS items you might need to complete your collection. I too turned to PimP! I think I'm going about collecting these differently though. Most of these seem to be easier to find so I'm not super actively trying to get each and every one (there are so many color variations!). And these are so much more fun loose so I don't try to collect them MIP. Also, did you see the checklist Jenna posted to the website. Its so nice :)

I think that every collector goes through ups and downs with collecting at times. It takes time, patience and money to keep a collection going, not to mention space! lol. Aside from toys, I have always collected nature items like shells, feathers, rocks, crystals etc. I love how they look displayed so if I had the space I would love to grow that collection as well. :D
You can't change your destiny, so change your attitude!
TequilaMockingbird

Postby Alie » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:13 am

Congratulations on your mermaid ! She's very pretty. :clap:
I love the pretty mermaid toys. But we did not have them in europe (I do not think)
So they are very hard to find for us. (Like the Li'l secret that I collect too)
For my part, I collect a lot of small vintage toys, colored and with many small accessories mini-universe.
Quints / Mimi & goo goos / Furry Family... :roll:
I have some "phases". Sometimes I find no more news in a collection. So I revenge on another.
And right now is making customs that boosts my pleasure to my collection.
Alie

Postby loves toys » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:39 pm

Congratulations on your find! She is very beautiful.
loves toys

Postby katze016 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:18 pm

Thanks, everyone! And thanks for sharing, Joey and Alie. :D

My little school of mermaids (would you call a group of mermaids a school or a pod? :think:) has multiplied in the last month and I now have four of them, with two more on their way! I'll take a pic once the last two arrive.
My passion for LPS has been fully reignited due to all the additions I've managed to pick up recently. I can't believe how tiny my wishlist is now. :shock: I think you're onto something with concentrating on customs, Alie. I've been rereading my long list of custom ideas I came up with ages ago and I think slowly and steadily working on new LPS creations will be a nice way to stay involved in the community.
"All I want to do is dance, until I fall into the undiscovered depths of my mind." ~ unknown
katze016

Postby katze016 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:04 pm

I'm up to seven!
I think my favorite so far is the one with the pink tail and lavender hair, Star Blossom.
mermaids.jpg
katze016

Postby loves toys » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:04 pm

Congratulations! Those are beautiful! I love the blue and hot pink tail one (second from left).
loves toys

Postby katze016 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:27 pm

Thank you! I like her a lot too!
katze016

Postby Alie » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:43 am

Waaaa ! What a gorgeous collection !! It's beautiful.
I like the one with tricolor tail ! ;)
Alie

Return to Vintage Toys