Puppy surprise - anyone collect?

Talk about other vintage toys!

Moderators: zuse, loves toys, styxlver_82, jeapos88

Puppy surprise - anyone collect?

Postby Saradavo » Sat May 24, 2014 5:23 pm

Hi guys,
Apart from LPS and IMP I also collect the puppy surprise line. This also includes kitty, baby cub, bunny and pony surprises too! Wanna one else here a collector of these? I'll add some photos soon!
Saradavo

Re: Puppy surprise - anyone collect?

Postby jeapos88 » Sat May 24, 2014 5:53 pm

I don't collect them, but I do have 2+some extra puppies that i'm looking to part with.
I love cats, It's people I can't stand
jeapos88

Postby Saradavo » Sat May 24, 2014 11:47 pm

Oh really? I'd love them!
Saradavo

Postby sarafina » Sun May 25, 2014 9:46 am

Ohhh I love the Surprise pets! Growing up, I had Puppy, Kitty, Bunny, Pony, & Baby Cub Surprise...I adored them. Last year, I decided that I just didn't have the room to store them anymore, and I kept coming across people who were such passionate collectors of the Surprise animals - so I decided to sell my whole collection. It was hard to part with them, but it was so wonderful to find collectors who would love them so dearly. I sold my Bunny Surprise (the peach lop-eared bunny) to an Australian collector who runs a really love Surprise web site - she was so thrilled, since apparently the bunnies were hard to come by in Australia.

I do miss them, but at least they're in good hands! :) I have three puppies left and would be happy to send you a picture of them if you're interested.
Thanks to Lindsay1988 for my signature & Patty Krizan for the signature/avatar art!
sarafina

Postby ibuildabrit » Tue May 27, 2014 1:05 pm

I have one around my parent's house somewhere. I liked them as a kid but growing up I think it may have given me unrealistic expectations about animal birth
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.
e. e. cummings
ibuildabrit

Postby sarafina » Tue May 27, 2014 1:33 pm

ibuildabrit wrote:growing up I think it may have given me unrealistic expectations about animal birth

:lol: :lol:

It is pretty odd. ;) Kind of like the 95 Newborn Families' birth techniques! ;)
Thanks to Lindsay1988 for my signature & Patty Krizan for the signature/avatar art!
sarafina

Postby MoondancerMilkyWay » Thu May 29, 2014 9:48 pm

I found a white Kitty Surprise at Good Will once - cheap and in good condition! I was thrilled! i didn't have one growing up, but it was so much fun to find her!
MoondancerMilkyWay

Postby Saradavo » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:53 pm

I'm in the middle of photographing all of my collections. Once I'm done I'll past a link to my flickr on here for anyone who would like to see it.
Saradavo

Postby MoondancerMilkyWay » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:12 pm

that reminds me! I also just scored a pink kitty surprise with 3 babies! also in good condition!!
MoondancerMilkyWay

Postby sarafina » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:00 pm

Sara - yay, I can't wait to see your collection photos!

Moondancer - You have a knack for finding awesome toys!
sarafina

Postby styxlver_82 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:25 am

Ooh, I love the Surprise pet lines! As a kid, I recall having 3 mama dogs (pretty sure one came with 4 puppies, and the other two only came with 3 each), and I believe I had 2 mama kitties as well. When they started selling the babies individually (particularly the Surprise Outfits and Sleep n Surprise lines), I remember quite fondly when I'd rush to the Target toy aisle and occasionally get to choose one to purchase. Among my most treasured collection items are 2 animation cels (with their backgrounds) to two different Surprise pets commercials; one's for Puppy Surprise, and the other is for Pet Surprise, I believe.

I don't have a very current photo of my collection, but here's my baby Surprise pets as of Nov. 2011 (the 3 pups with the colored bodies, near the center of the photo, seem to have 'real' heads but generic bodies...I won them out of a Walmart Candy Claw machine back in the day):

Some of my 'mom' Surprise pets, again an outdated photo from Nov. 2011:

Larger and more detailed photos of some of my Surprise pets/accessories can be seen in my Photobucket here:

http://s723.photobucket.com/user/LeahLP ... t=3&page=1

Thanks so much for letting me share! I'm really looking forward to seeing photos of your collection, Sara!
Currently looking for the Lamb fact card...please let me know if you have one for sale or trade!
styxlver_82

Postby sarafina » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:24 pm

Leah, what a BEAUTIFUL collection!! Those little pups that you got in the claw machine are fantastic. I would absolutely love to see pictures of your animation cells sometime!

I remember getting some of those little single-release pets with the surprise outfits and such - I think I had a bride and a ballerina. Then I had one or two of the hard plastic drink 'n wet pups as well. One of my favorite sets was my lop-eared peach bunny family, and I loved my white kitty family as well since they looked so much like my own cat. My absolute favorite was probably always my Puppy Surprise family, though (Leah, I see you have her - the white terrier-looking mama with light brown patches) - they were my first Surprise pets, and I got them for a birthday after drooling over the commercials for so long.

Looking through timpersock's web site again, I realize that I also had a Pet Surprise - one of those adolescent-looking pets!

https://sites.google.com/site/timpersock/petsurprise

I sure wish I'd taken some group shots before selling everything! :roll:
sarafina

Postby ibuildabrit » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:59 pm

I had one at one point in my life. Not sure what happened to it though.
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.
e. e. cummings
ibuildabrit

Postby Saradavo » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:22 pm

Later this year just play are releasing new puppy surprises! They look super cute too, I think these are more in keeping with the original style, kinda like a continuation of the like rather than those ugly ones they released a few years ago!

http://live.exploreli.com/Event/LIVE_20 ... air?Page=0

I think I'll be buying these, which excites me as it's been a long time since I've been able to just walk in to a toy store and buy something to add to more collection.
Saradavo

Postby Saradavo » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:24 pm

Saradavo

Postby sarafina » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:26 pm

:o OH MY GOSH! That's fantastic!! I wasn't a fan of those earlier re-releases, either... but these really look just like the originals.

Oh dear...after selling all of mine, now I'm so tempted to buy more. :lol: It really would be so great to have something to look for in the toy aisles of stores again!
sarafina

Postby styxlver_82 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:24 pm

sarafina wrote:Leah, what a BEAUTIFUL collection!! Those little pups that you got in the claw machine are fantastic. I would absolutely love to see pictures of your animation cells sometime!

Sure, I can most definitely get pics of the animation cels for you. :) I think I've got them safely tucked away in the tote with my MOC/MIB Baby Buddies, so I'll try to get it out pretty soon and snap you a pic.

Saradavo wrote:Later this year just play are releasing new puppy surprises! They look super cute too, I think these are more in keeping with the original style, kinda like a continuation of the like rather than those ugly ones they released a few years ago!

http://live.exploreli.com/Event/LIVE_20 ... air?Page=0

I think I'll be buying these, which excites me as it's been a long time since I've been able to just walk in to a toy store and buy something to add to more collection.

Oh wow, I'm so excited about these...thank you so much for sharing the info and the links!!! I'll definitely have to be on the lookout for them as I'd love for a few to join my collection!
Currently looking for the Lamb fact card...please let me know if you have one for sale or trade!
styxlver_82

Postby MoondancerMilkyWay » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:15 pm

oh goodness how I love when toys come back and look good, too!!!

thank you for sharing the pics and links! it brings back really fond memories for sure!
MoondancerMilkyWay

Postby sarafina » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:19 am

Leah, no rush at all on the animation cells - just whenever you have time, I'd sure love to see them. :) I LOVED those commercials as a kid!

I really wish that we could see an LPS re-release that's as true to the originals as these Puppy Surprises! :think:

Did the original Surprise pets have names? It seems that these new ones all have names/characters associated with them, but I don't recall that with the originals. It's a cute idea.
sarafina

Postby ibuildabrit » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:01 pm

I'd love to see a new release of LPS! Well "our" LPS not the alien kind they have now.
e. e. cummings
ibuildabrit

Postby Nina:) » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:33 am

I Start to collect them a few weeks ago :)
Attachments
image.jpg
Nina:)

Postby Saradavo » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:17 pm

Here are some pic of my collection
Attachments
image.jpg
Saradavo

Postby Saradavo » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:18 pm

Attachments